[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) meteor duration estimates

<< As with estimating meteor magnitude and path length, estimating duration
is
 a practiced skill wich improves with experience.  Novices may have only 1/2
 second accuracy, but seasoned observers probably  have an accuracy of about
 +/- 1/10 second.  Very fast meteors that could not be estimated are recorded
 as being less than the observer's "threshold," such as < 0.2 seconds.  I
 eventually became confident in my ability to gage between 0.2 and 0.1,
 although I could never start and stop my stopwatch in less than 0.12 second.

 Take care,

 Jim Richardson
 Graceville, FL
 Richardson@DigitalExpdot com

--------
Jim,
Are you sure you aren't basing a meteors speed by it's apparent motion?  I
find it very hard to believe that one can judge a meteors duration in tenths
of a second without basing it on how it appeared.  Also, I find it hard to
believe that one is able to start and stop their stopwatch the instant an
unscheduled meteor appears on a reliable and constant basis....especially to
record times in the low tenths of a second. I honestly believe those who make
such claims are actually basing their times on the meteors apparent motion
rather than actual sense of timing.
George Z.