[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteor Photo Sept 11/12

>> It's got a lot of brakes from the Rotating shutter.
>> I counted in the neighborhood of 94 breaks so
>> far this morning.
>
>George,
>assuming 1300 rpm (is that true?) the meteor was over 4sec. Interesting
>piece.
>Is a satellite be ruled out? What is the distance the meteor travelled
during
>that time?
>
>Rainer
--------
Rainer,
The RPM's of the rotating shutter was immediately determined with my
stroboscope after the exposure..dot it was 1250...I tried to be as accurate as
possible in determining this....Also, it's definitely not a satellite nor an
airplane. The meteor even has 4 or 5 apparent flare spots near it's end
showing train after images. Other particulars are: Appearance time: 5h28m 45s
UT; sporadic; Map 1 Meteor #4; Sept 11/12, 1996; Color: Orange; Visually seen
at magniutde -3 with a speed scale # of 3; The chops are very clear and close
to each other.  I came up with a duration of 2.424 seconds...unless I was
wrong with my math? I just tried to make a very careful count of the brakes
and came up with 101 with the possibility of 2 or 3 more that can be added
with more careful scrutiny.  It's approximate Begin Pt:
RA: 23h15m, Dec +74; approximate End Pt: RA: 3h20m, Dec +63.

To get my duration of 2.424 seconds I did the following:

1250 Divided by 60 to get 20.8333 Revolutions/sec.

The shutter had 2 blades.  Multiplying the two blades times 20.8333 RPS to
get 41.6666breaks per second.  Then I divided the 101 breaks by 41.6666 to
get a duration of 2.424 seconds. I hope this all helps until I get prints
made up?
George Z.