[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) meteor colors

Greetings,

Hope that it's not too late to join this thread.  One offbeat
suggestion is that some of the colours of fireballs might be
attributed to overload of the dark-adapted eye, in other words you see
"spots" before your eyes.  It might explain some of the divergence and
peculiar colours of bright fireballs.  To cite a personal example, a
-9 fireball I saw during the 1973(?) Geminids had a distinct claret
colour!  My suspicion was that it was much brighter and I was seeing
the colour of the spot and not the meteor.

Just a thought.

Malcolm