[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Question about lat/long

At 11:36 AM 11/1/96 -0500, you wrote:

>Richard Amirault <amirault@laraby.tiacdot net> wrote:
>>...get one of the CD-Rom mapping programs. I've recently
>>bought one for about $30.  Not only will it show virtually EVERY street
>>in the contentinal U.S.A. but the Lat/Lon of the cursor as it moves
>>across the map at all magnifications.
>
>Richard, this sounds like it'd be an ideal tool for reducing my meteor
>observations, since I travel a lot to find OK skies to observe under.
>Does the CD you have give accuracy down to the seconds of lat/long?
>And how about elevations? (That would be REALLY amazing.)
>
>Last but not least, where'd you get the CD so cheap, and who makes it?
>
>Thanks!
>Lew Gramer
>Medford, MA, USA
>
>Hi Lew

I don't know if Richard has the same mapping program as I do, but mine is
called Precision Mapping 2.0
and I obtained it from Just Softworks, Inc., of Lemont Illinois. (Tel. 708
257 7616)  It came bundled with "800 Phone Number Book" also, and together
they were around $30.

I think it is very good and accurate.  To check it out I looked up Medford,
MA (did you know there are thirteen Medfords in the US?) and found the
coordinates of the junction of !st and Apache to be 97 43' 60" W and
36 48' 13''.  It also measures distances to .001 mile.   I was going to work
out the distance from Medford to Lomita, but it didn't work out first try
and I don't have the time to figure out how to use that function right now.

Hope that helps you

Ron Rennie