[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Question about lat/long

On Fri, 1 Nov 1996, Lew Gramer wrote:

> Richard Amirault <amirault@laraby.tiacdot net> wrote:
> >...get one of the CD-Rom mapping programs. I've recently
> >bought one for about $30.  Not only will it show virtually EVERY street
> >in the contentinal U.S.A. but the Lat/Lon of the cursor as it moves
> >across the map at all magnifications.
>
> Richard, this sounds like it'd be an ideal tool for reducing my meteor
> observations, since I travel a lot to find OK skies to observe under.
> Does the CD you have give accuracy down to the seconds of lat/long?
> And how about elevations? (That would be REALLY amazing.)
>
> Last but not least, where'd you get the CD so cheap, and who makes it?

The CD-Rom I have is PRECISION MAPPING 2.0 from JUST SOFTWORKS INC.
I bought it locally at MICROCENTER on Memorial Drive in Cambridge. At the
time it was 'on sale' but I think it may have been more of a price
reduction since I received a direct mail adv for the same product during
the summer for about the same price.

Sorry, It will not do elevations.

Sorry, I can't say exactly what the accuracy is...due to the fact that my
computer is dead! (what are you typing on now? I hear you ask ... an 8088
laptop, thru a 2400 baud modem! With modem compression, and a text only
shell account, it is not really too bad)

Richard Amirault              N1JDU            Boston, Massachusetts USA
amirault@tiacdot net        "Go Fly A Kite"