[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Visual magnitude

> > any change in lm for both under bright skies. The size of a meteor is small---
> > does somebody know angular sizes of average say +3 meteors? On photographs faint
> > meteors (fainter than say -2) look as wide as stars, so it can't be much more
> > than a few arcminutes.
>
> Not that I see many +3 meteors through my telescope but...  even visual
> meteors at 20x appear mostly as thin (sub-arcminute) lines, or star-like
> if the angular speed is low.

If I recall it correct I read somewhere, that the luminous trail of a
meteor has an actual diameter in the order of 1m. Don't ask me *where*
this information came from, I think it was a result of some photographic
investigation. It means, that the apparent width of a meteor's trail shoud
be of the order of a few arc seconds.
Sirko

*           Sirko Molau             *                    __              *
*          Str.246 Nr.16            *             " 2B v 2B "            *
*          D-13086 Berlin           *                                    *
*   smo@informatik.tu-chemnitzdot de   *                       Shakespeare  *
*   http://www.tu-chemnitzdot de/~smo  *                                    *