[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) meteors

It was asked: >  Can someone help me distinquish between a meteor shower
              >  meteor and a sporadic?

 From 2 definitive sources we use, here it goes-

1.   In the fine North American Meteor Network Guide (for visual meteor obs),
     Chapt 1 states:
      "There are two broad groups of meteors.  Those that arrive from random
       locations in the sky are term 'sporadic', while others that appear to
       radiate from a particular region (termed the RADIANT) of the sky come
       from 'meteor showers'".

2.   In the International Meteor Organization's WWW Guide for "Major-Shower
     Observations", Section 5.4 is entitled 'SHOWER ASSOCIATION' and sttaes
     the following:
       "Members of a given shower seem to originate from one small area of the
        sky; the radiant.  Since you memorized the radiant's position in the
        sky before the start of the watch you can trace back the meteor's path
        as an imaginary straight line, to see whether it intersects the
        radiant.  Tracing back the meteor's path over a large distance is
        difficult ...  If the path can be traced back to the radiant, the
        meteor was a shower meteor, otherwise it was a sproadic.  Two
        additional and general rules:

          A>  Shower meteors appear fasser the larger their distance from the
              radiant and the higher their elevation above the horizon.  Near
              the radiant or near the horizon shower meteors generally appear
              slower

          B>  The apparent length shows a similar behavior to the angular
              velocity.  Near the radiant or near the horizon meteor paths
              are generally short, while they are longer with increasing
              distance from the radiant and nearer the zenith.

   Hope that helps you pued@msndot com.

   Joseph Assmus