[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re:Nov 3/4 - 4/5 Taurids fair + sleep

>First night in the new observing cycle planned for Nov 3/4.  The previous
night was cloudy with a cold front coming by, first one cloudy since Oct
18/19.  Had a pleasant session, comfortable with the wool blanket and temps
in low 60's.  I wore only a t-shirt, above the waist.  Total time4.38 hours
with 35 meteors : 13 South Taurids, 6 North Taurids, 3 ambiguous N/S
Taurids, 13 sporadics.  Sky began at 6.7 (more lights early evening plus air
turbulence), improved to 7.0 by 926, then 7.3 by 1126 EST (426 UT).
Sporadic rate increased to 5 after 1126, not bad.  Best were -1's, one from
each branch, both yellow.  Highest total Taurid rate 7.

>Next night began cloudy so I had to wait in town.  Often the late
afternoon-early evening hours are the cloudiest; the stuff from inland forms
in the heat of the day, then moves westward  past the coast after the
seabreeze quits.  Once that passed, the sky didn't look that great from town
full of aerosols, but at my observing site it was fine.  Was pleasantly
surprised.  Did 2.67 hours  1122-202 EST (422-702 UT), recorded 40 meteors :
11 South Taurids, 8 North Taurids, 1 N/S Taurid, 1 Leonid, 19 sporadics.
First 1996 Taurid fireball at 132 EST (632 UT), a white-blue -4 that
projected through both N and S.  The Souths were faint : none better than
+3, ranged down to +6.  Sky started 7.2, then 7.3 after 1226.  Best
all-Taurid rate was 8.  The shower is running below normal; have thought
that since during the Orionids.

>My observing of Taurids over the years indicates that years ending in
1,4,7,8 have numerous fireballs while the other years have few or none.
This pattern I have starting in 1971 with sufficient numbers of Taurids to
make it noticeable.  Only 1984 and 1987 didn't fit in, with full moon in
early November plus a lot of bad weather.  In the 90's the pattern is back.
It does make sense with the parent comet Encke in a 3.3-year period.

>Lew wrote:
>>I'd also be a willing participant in a sleep study! I think I'd make a good
>"baseline case" vs. someone like George Zay or Norman McLeod: I've
>personally witnessed Norm sleep for periods of a half hour or less -
>completely outside of (what my brain thought was) any normal rhythm... Very
>enviable!

This is a trait from my father's side of the family.  All of us can nap at
any time and get up refreshed.  After even light physical activity, I want
to nap it off to restore alertness.  Even 20 minutes is useful.  My mother
has always envied us; if  she gets awake early, she can't go back to sleep.
I can't imagine what that is like.  My natural sleep hours are 5AM - noon,
when the schedule permits.  At 16 I became strongly night-oriented and have
been that way ever since.  In the early 70's when I was teaching, I would
sleep 3 hours right after school, then work until very late, then sleep 4
more hours.  On observing nights, would do up to 6 hours after school, then
meteors 4 hours, then home for 1 more hour before work. Being on my feet
most of the day kept me awake.  I would be right at home on Jupiter with my
sleep schedule, often sleep 4 then up for 8,  two complete cycles in one
earth day.  Late afternoon-PM night jobs I like best.  Anything to avoid
getting up early ; I feel worst 7 AM to 11 AM almost every day.  No use
doing any serious work at those hours.  H & R Block is good, I take the
afternoon - evening shift which suits the manager fine -- more people want
the early hours.

Some extra entertainment for SW Florida this month.  The Fantasy in Fire
competition is running at Naples, 37 miles south of here.  5 nations each
have a night to put on a world-class fireworks show set to music, lasting a
solid half-hour.  First time in the USA.  Joan and I went to see the Spain
show Sat night.  Upcoming are Italy, Germany, Canada, USA, and a finale.  3
Saturdays and 2 Wednesdays.  Will take the camcorder here on; it was
spectacular already.  Naples is the wealthy part of this section of Florida
coast, so it's appropriate that the competition take place there.

Weather continues quite good, and back to warm again.  Perfect for meteors.
Wonder if my luck will last until the Leonids.

Norman McLeod
Fort Myers, Florida