[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Nov 7 Observations

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.5.1 ] --

I had been meaning to watch all this week but the cloud ceiling has been
above the altitude of George's observatory. Finally this morning it
remained clear the entire night. The atmosphere was transparent so I
decided to save some gas and watch from the backyard. The skies at home
are generally one half to a full magnitude brighter than the rural sites
. It was still worth the effort as I saw 20 meteors during the 4 hour
watch. I managed to reach an LM of 6.05 on one star count before
moonrise. Due to the transparent air the moonlight had very little
effect on my LM. I was also facing north with the moon well away from my
field of view. I was disappointed at the Taurid rates. The 2 NTA's were
2nd and 4th magnitude while the 2 STA's (0 & -2) were both spectacular
yellow, long-lasting meteors that fragmented before disappearing. A rate
of .5 an hour is much below what rates should have been on this date.

09:00-10:00   UT     0.98     5.79     4 SPO

10:00-11:00   UT     0.95     5.72     1 NTA     2 STA     3 SPO

11:00-12:00   UT     0.98     5.76     4  SPO

12:00-13:00   UT     0.97     5.72     1 NTA     5 SPO

F was 1.00 all 4 hours. TeFF was reduced due to plotting. I was facing
north at an altitude of 70 degrees the entire session.

Beginning Temperature/Relative Humidity:     48 F   (9 C)     70%

Ending Temperature/Relative Humidity:        47 F   (8 C)     72%

Bob Lunsford