[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Slow periods

<< The second thing is, whether those quite times always appear at roughly
 the same time. I realized the following: My rates are always very high in
 the first 30 minutes of observation, and then they come down to a 'normal'
 level. I cannot help myself - it's not that I fall asleep so soon ;-) -
 but this is something which I experience again and again. Maybe it's just
 that I have (without really noticing it) 130%  concentration at the
 start of the observation, and come then down to a normal level.
 What I want to say is, that George's 'phenomenon' might as well be a
 personal effect like mine, a kind of 'midnight crisis' so to say. ;-))
 Cheers, Sirko

 ** >>
---------
Just want to add a little something to an old thread here.
I understand what you are saying here Sirko, but I just want to point out
that I normally start my observations around 10 pm local so that I can see
more fully how the night evolves. The first couple hours are relatively slow
on the average and again on average I see a pick up of rates after midnight
to about 2 or 3 am. It is on some occasions that I will notice the activity
to "die out" for about an hour or so with no real  set patterns after
somewhere near 3 am or 4 am.   It's just a realization that there are dead
periods longer than what I was expecting during this period causes me to feel
more alert in an effort to make sure I'm not missing anything.  Then the
activity usually comes back to what I feel is normal by the last observing
hour.  Then there are some nights that I start my observing near midnight and
1 am and still see a similar pattern at the same times. I don't think it is
anything to get excited about. When I look at my overall hourly rates they
seem to fit the excepted literature with nothing too noteworthy. Anyhow, I
think we may have hashed this one out, but I just want to state that I don't
see increased rates at the beginning of my observation, but rather it evolves
on an hourly basis with some puzzling erratic moments during the last couple
hours.
George Z.