------- Forwarded Message

From: L.W.Miller@az05p.bulldot com
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 96 17:14:47 MST

Thanks for the very nice welcome.  And for the idea about the digest.  As a
full-time employee using the company email that would be preferable.  Please put
me on the digest list.

About myself:  Name:  LaRue Miller, husband Bob, four children, seven
grandchildren.  Work as a software test engineer, play the organ at church, grow
a vegetable garden, try to entice my reluctant husband out to see meteors 3-4
times a year.  Would like to be more involved.  It's about an hour drive to
anyplace really dark.

Where we are:  Phoenix, Arizona.  About the only visible stars are 2's, maybe
3's.  We can barely make out all the stars in the big dipper on good nights.

Observing knowledge:  No formal counting or training in keeping track.  How do
you keep all those records when getting a light set up to write something down
wipes out the night vision?

Observing history:  Just the occasional meteor until --
    November (??) 1966, 3:00 AM, while feeding our youngest in Juneau, Alaska,
        a clear night (one of only about 110 the whole year) and the entire sky
        exploded with meteors.  It looked like every star in the sky had become
        a fireworks display.  This continued for the entire 45 minutes I spent
        with the baby, then I went back to bed thinking it would still be going
        on in the morning.  By 6:00 AM there were only a few bursts here and
        there, so the rest of the family missed the best part.
   August 1992, evening, attempted to see the Perseids.  Nothing.
   August 1993, evening, took some family members out of town to a dark spot.
         We saw maybe 1-2 per minute.  No formal counting.  Stopped at 1:00 AM.
1995, Started actually reading about meteor showers.  Managed to get
        out of town for the Perseids and the Leonids (trying to get the family
        ready for the next big one whenever it comes up).
1996, Found the meteor information on the internet.  Went out for the Perseids
again.
       That's about it.  Thanks to all.
           LaRue

------- End of Forwarded Message