[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Nov. 8/9 summary

After almost a month to the day, I finally was able to do some meteor
observing. I had planned on beginning at local midnight, but overslept for
almost a hour even though my wife tried to wake me up twice. During the day,
we had a rapidly moving front (40 mph) come through dropping our temps. into
the 40s and 50s. But it moved so fast that by early evening, it had moved
off the coast and the skies cleared. This confirmed its behavior as reported
by David Swann (Texas) who called me Thursday night to report his Orionid
results.

Beginning at 0601 UT, it looked like Taurid rates might be good this morning
as I saw 2 STAs in the first eleven minutes. But then they dropped off for
the remainder of the night, with only a total of 5 Taurids during the entire
session (Teff=1.99). Beginning at 0721 UT, the Leonids seemed to become
active as I observed five over the next 50 minutes. But I need to take a
closer look at these today to verify they were in fact Leonids.

           Teff   LM   STA  NTA  LEO  SPO
0601-0815  1.99  6.10   3    2    5    23

A full report will be submitted.

Mark Davis
MeteorObs@charlestondot net