[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Nov 5/6 dull, Nov 6/7 meteors fair

Norman wrote:
> My only vices are cookies and any form of chocolate.  For many years Chips
> Ahoy has been the official American Meteor Society cookie.  Each of us would
> have a bag for observing.

In the UK during the 1970s it used to be the Jaffa Cake.  Don't know
if it still is as I've been a solo observer for many years.

I'm sure that healthy living and eating plenty of fruit and vegetables
has helped to sustain my good limiting magnitude.  My weight is only
+15lbs since leaving school, well actually that's occurred during the
last 10 years due to lack of exercise.  My far-vision eyesight has
lost some of the crispness it had until my mid-thirties, so (too much
close-vision work with small characters on computer terminals?), but
my limiting magnitudes are still better than most.  These days it's
hard to put it to the test because of light pollution, but I expect
that >+7.5 is a thing of the past, and even at sites like in the
Karoo, the low +7s will be my limit.  Fortunately, it doesn't cause a
problem for telescopic meteors, as I can adjust the focus.

Malcolm