[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re:Nov 10/11 meteors fair + more

<< The Dec S&T has a Perseid writeup.  I was astonished at the reports of a
 good shower in there, people seeing 100/hr!  They used only the highest
 counts giving the impression of a great year.  No way were the 1996 Perseids
 great : the best I could do was only 28.  At least not great from North
 America.  As usual there are undocumented high Perseid perceptions out there
 that perpetuate the notion of Perseids being a "very strong and reliable"
 shower.  Get these people out for the Geminids and they would likely see
 200-300/hr.  That's the best of the year hands down.  Even I see 80-85/hr
 from the Geminids routinely.

 Norman

--------
I agree with you here Norman. I highly suspect some of those U.S. Perseid
Counts might also include various other showers that were active as well as a
healthy number of sporadics. Also, that one guy in Oregon(?) must have had a
high LM as well. Anyhow, I separated everything like most experienced
observers do and about 50/hr with an avg LM near 6.0 was about the best I can
come up with.  I believe Bob got a little more than I did, but no where near
what some folks appeared to get.
George Z.