Original Text
From: Ron Rennie <astron@earthlinkdot net>, on 11/11/96 2:34 PM:
To: <meteorobs@latradedot com>

At 01:58 PM 11/10/96 -0500, you wrote:

>Had a glorious - and TOTALLY unexpected - clearing between 10pm and 2am
>last night! Unfortunately, that's too late to get into any of my usual
>observing spots. Did 4 hours of blissful deep sky in the back yard with my
>tiny 4.5" AstroScan, then planned to start plotting when the Sickel rose
up
>over the surrounding house tops at about 2:00 - which was just in time for
>the cloud banks to roll back in! x^| / ;*(   [grimace, weep]

Hi Lew
I was interested to see your reference to the Astroscan as I own one of the
first production ones.  My wife bought it as a christmas present for me
about twenty years ago when they made an introductory offer for $99.95.  I
have used it on and off during that time, but I found it such a PITA to
line
up with an object that it didn,t get as much use as it might have.  It now
has a new lease on life as the South Bay Astronomy Club, to which I belong,
gets many requests from local schools to take our telescopes along to show
the stars and planets to the kids.  The big problem was that they would
invariably grab hold of the scope and pull it off the object and it would
take a long time to find again.   I overcame that problem by making a
fairly
simple bracket so that I can mount it on the tripod for my video camera
which has a fluid head which I can lock down.  It doesn't track but that
isn't a problem.
If you would like details of the bracket, let me know.

Incidentally, some of you out there may be interested in the SBAS homepage
as it is run by two members who also run a page on meteorites.  The URL is
meteorite@earthlinkdot net.

Best wishes
Ron