[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observation Nov 11/12 ZAYGE

I was able to observe again last night under clear skies with an avg LM near
6.0. for about 6 hours. Activity has increased suddenly compared to the
previous nite...but not due to the Leonids or Taurids...Apparently the
sporadics jumped up for some reason...might be another minor shower lurking
thereabouts somewhere?  I haven't noticed any patterns to make me suspicious
though. I plotted 92 meteors total. 23 NTA's, 12 STA's, 4 Leonids and 52
sporadics. In regards to the Leonids, I saw my first relatively brite member
for 1996..dot it was a -1 and also a +1..the other two were +4's. The britest
meteor of the nite was a very short -3 STA. My highest 1 hour rate for the
NTA's was 6...and this was when the radiant was up near the zenith.  In the
early evening, I was able to make 3 exposures of comet Hale/Bopp. All with my
4" scope piggy backed onto the 10inch.  I used the 10 inch as my guide scope.
I will be developing the film this afternoon. Hopefully something decent will
amount from it....also hoping I didn't do something incredibly stupid...such
as not focus, no film or something of that nature.  Will report on my outcome
later. Just as I was making my last exposure the winds started to pick up
again. It contined all nite. It was starting to become a very bad nuisance
during the last hour before dawn.  I thought for sure I was going to have to
chase some charts down the field ...but I was lucky to hang onto everything
successfully. This is the end of my observing until the Peak Leonid nite. Our
local forecase is favorable at the moment...but I've seen favorable forcasts
go into the tank when you least want them to.
George Z.