[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Nov. 12/13 Summary

I was able to observe this morning under clear skies for 3.40 hours
beginning at 0600 UT. The highlight of the morning came at 0744 UT when I
recorded my brightest fireball ever. This sporadic appeared almost due east
at approximately 25o in altitude and began as -9.0 but about midway along
its path, flared to -11. Color alternated from yellow to green and back to
yellow. I immediately froze all of my movement to listen for any possible
sounds and was rewarded 11 to 12 seconds later with one short, faint "boom,"
my first ever recorded sound. A complete report will be sent to FIDAC as
soon as possible.

The Leonids (5 meteors) and S. Taurids (2 meteors) were not very active this
morning. The N. Taurids (10 meteors) did improve from my previous
observations, but still not up to the level of other reports. My highest
rate for the NTAs were 5/hour.

Due to prior family obligations, I will not be able to observe tonight.
Thursday night is also a 50-50 proposition. The latest weather forecast has
turned sour, with a 40% chance of rain predicted for Sat. and Sun. But I
will be out anyway since they almost never get the forecast right anyway.

Mark Davis
MeteorObs@charlestondot net