Original Text
From: Mark Davis <MeteorObs@charlestondot net>, on 11/14/96 12:38 AM:
To: <meteorobs@latradedot com>

At 10:10 AM 11/13/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Judging by the short time of 11 or 12 seconds from meteor sighting to
booming
>noise...the meteor had to be very close to you somewhere along it's
>trajectory(about 2 miles). Right off hand, if the meteor came that close
>you, I'd expect a possible louder sonic boom.... unless the meteoroid was
too
>small to produce much of a noise. My guess is that this shouldn't diminish
>the appeared magnitudes any or at least not by much. Can't wait to see
>another fireball of that kind of magnitudes myself...dot it's been a long
time.
>George Z.

Thanks for the input on an estimated distance. Immediately after the
observation I had to go to work, then a family event this evening. This
being my first "sound event" I was going to have to do a literature search
for an estimated distance. The sonic boom was sharp, very distinct and
easily heard. I have described it as faint, but I have no reference to
compare it to, so faint may not be an accurate description.

I have been long overdue...10+ years and only a -6.0 to show for it before
this one. But didn't you and Bob catch a -12.0 last year I think? Still
have
to catch up to that one....

Mark Davis
MeteorObs@charlestondot net