[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Cold Weather Observing

At 10:36 AM 11/13/96 -0500, GWG wrote:
>  A few meteor observers have expressed interest in tips for cold weather
>meteor observing within NAMN. Meteor Coffins are okay, but a lawn chair is
>still useful in below freezing weather, as long as you have a good sleeping
>bag and dress warmly. Be sure to use multiple layers of porous and non-porous
>clothing. The late Charles P. Olivier once told me that a thin blanket, that
>is doubled over and fastened with a safety pin underneath a winter coat works
>good. Remember to keep your tape recorder warm next to your body when it is
>really cold too. The cold will kill your bateries. This can be a real bummer
>out in the field.

I wanted to add to what GWG mentions above to pay particular attention to
your head, as this is where most heat loss occurs. Here in South Carolina, I
no longer have real cold weather (low 30's during observations this week),
but in Virginia I went through all kinds of head gear to find something that
worked. The best I found was a wool baclava (sp?) which worked great in
keeping my head and face warm.

Mark Davis
MeteorObs@charlestondot net