[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) slightly off topic.

>>>I had a comet... Great little car.
>>
>>It was, as I remember! I'm still waiting to find out if Norm actually got
rid of
>>his! I used to have visions of him still driving that thing along at 40mph
right
>>up to the day they outlawed internal combustion.
>>
>>What about it, Norm: did the meteormobile ever get replaced?
>>
>>Lew
>

>It was, and is, a 70 Maverick.  No need to replace it ---- just getting
broken in.  Had the original engine replaced 1.5 years ago, got 388000 miles
out of it.  The chassis will pass 400000 sometime next year.  I dropped the
personalized tag a couple of years ago.  In the age we live in now it's not
a good idea to attract any attention.  Blend in with the background for your
own safety.

>Amazing how economical a good old car can be.  Especially important now
that cars cost as much as small houses! Original price was $2400.   I seem
to be getting 25MPG now, not bad.  Can run it 65MPH no problem.  There is no
urge to extend my personality onto the road either.  A car serves only to
get me wherever I want to go.   I don't try to "save gas"; there's plenty of
it out there, we won't run out unless some artificial restrictions come into
play (they inevitably will).

>I also have a 307 Nova from 1970.  People have wanted to buy it ever since
we got it new.  Beginning to have people wanting to buy the Maverick also.
Computerizing cars is the worst use of computers I've seen; just makes the
cars vastly more expensive and impossible for anyone but the dealer to
repair, at very high prices.
For every gallon of gas you are saving, it ultimately costs you up to $11!
Saw that somewhere recently.  Is it worth it?  How do people afford to drive?