[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) LM's of less than +5

<< I also noted on another message of yours that you have an LM of +4...If
it's
 safe etc. try looking for a darker location.  An LM of +5.0 is needed to
have
 useful data for IMO.
 George Z.

 George,

 I am only 14.  The nearest darkest site is 90 minutes away.  And my parents
 don't really understand much about astronomy.

-------
Jonathan,
you can practice under these lighted conditions and improve your skill in
preparation for when you are under good dark skies someday, but data with
LM's under +5.0 have very limited value. During various major showers such as
the upcoming Leonids, if the sky was to have let's say a full moon, then very
few people will have usable LM's above +5.0..but in keeping tabs on a major
shower, this becomes one of those moments where it's better to have something
rather than nothing at all. But outside of those major showers, you will have
to wait for better moments and opportunities to have useful data. Not
everyone will be in a position or have the opportunity in every stage of
their life to observe under Ideal conditions. I for one have always loved
astronomy, but the opportunity to look thru a telescope or observe meteors
hasn't occurred until the last 10 years of my life...and I'm 50. In the
meantime, I did a lot of reading and wishing.  I wouldn't want to con you
into thinking that your data under +5.0 is going to be valuable when it's
not...this is why I'm telling you like it is. If you really have the desire,
I can assure you that when the opportunity and time comes, you will still be
interested.  In the meantime...keep preparing and reading...learn all that
you can....you won't always have the same limitations to hamper you.

Oh! I just thought of one meteor project that I did for 2 years that might be
right up your ally for a relatively bright location. A few years ago, Dr.
Jack Drummond ask me if I could start my meteor observing about a half hour
after sunset for an hour in hopes of finding a possible meteor or fireball
radiant coming in the direction from the sun.  I did this for 2 years for
this purpose. I found nothing to back this up...but it's still possible. My
best LM's under this circumstance was in the neighborhood of 3.5 to 4.0 I
guess? The data may not have a place in normal IMO records, but it is
something to still think about?
George Z.