[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) NAMN Meteorite Collectors

<< Is it true that all meteorites, including the SNC type and
 others are from asteroids or planets, but the cabonacous chondrites (sp?)
 are the only ones thought to be from comets, like most meteors? >>
Careful examination of  the SNC group suggests that they came from a planet
that was geologically active until fairly recently. As the gases trapped
within the lattice work of the crystals in these meteorites are found in the
same concentrations as Mars, it looks as though they may have come from
there.  For they all contain relatively iron-rich silicates and iron oxides,
which reveal they formed in a rather oxygen rich environment.

Carbonaceous Chrondrites represent the oldest remnants of the creation of the
solar system. These meteorites, whose chemical compositionclosely matches our
sun, appear to have formed at the formation of the solar system. One CC in
particular, Murchison (from Australia) was tested - was heated and produced a
remarkably large quantity of WATER, and also contained amino acids.
Scientists think that because of the large amounts of water that they came
from comets. And during the great bombardment that the comets delivered the
original "building blocks" to Earth.

I will look up further info for you - this is what I know off the top of my
head.

Kevin