[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteorites

At 01:02 PM 11/15/96 +0000, you wrote:

>If I found a meteorite, who would I contact?

Jonathan,

I would try a university near where you live. If there are none, you will
have to mail a sample to someone who can test the meteorite. There are a
couple of places I have been in contact with, but Kevin K. has a lot more
sources than me. An easy test you can do is to see if a suspected meteorite
deflects a strong magnet. Tie the magnet on the end of a string and see if
the "rock" causes it to move ever so slightly.

Kevin, have you got any other suggestions, or a best source for testing?

Mark Davis
MeteorObs@charlestondot net