[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Meteorite found (was...(meteorobs) To Jonathan Wojack)

<< If I found a meteorite, who would I contact? >>

There are a number of places on the east coast, you're in Del. correct? The
best place IMHO is Russel Kempton at New England Meteoritical up by Lew in
Mendon, MA. You can reach them at 508-478-4020. They will do the tests for
you.

You are correct Mark. Get a heavy duty magnet, and put it on a string. Hang
the magnet near your specimen, if its a meteorite it will attract the magnet.
Even stony meteorites will attract the magnet. Don't use a fridge magnet, it
needs to be heavy duty.
If your magnet was attracted then call Russel, because there is still a
chance it's a "meteor-wrong" (for example iron ore slag which looks like a
meteorite and attracts magnets)- and he'll take you thru the rest of the
steps.

Kevin