[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonids

Hi All
As I reported last night we had heavy cloud cover from 9pm PST.  I got up a couple
of times in the early morning and it was 100% cloud cover so Plan B was put into
operation this morning.  We went dirt bike riding at Gorman and I went exploring
the suitability of the many small campgrounds in the adjacent Los Padres National
Forest as observing sites.  I found one with easy access that will be really great.
 At the lower elevation (5000 feet) we still had dark gray clouds and it was quite
cold.  I then checked out a campground at the top of Alamo Mountain (7800 feet) and
found that we had climbed through the cloud cover and they were a beautiful white
on top.  It was sunny and the temperature was also at least 20 degrees higher, in
spite of the snow laying in the shaded areas. It was really beautiful up there with
many trees displaying their golden yellow autumnal leaves.  Excuse me, we don't see
much of that here in southern California.  I couldn't help wondering if I would
have been treated to the sight of the Leonids if I had spent the night up there.

I'm pleased that somebody was able to see enough to make a report.

Ron Rennie