[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Leonids

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.5.1 ] --

Michael,  You Wrote:

> Would it be safe to assume that next year's leonids will have a ZHR
twice
> as strong as this years or will it be about the same?

We can hope for an increase in ZHR but the actual hourly counts may be
reduced by the intense moonlight from the waning gibbous moon.

> I don't understand how we can have an increase in meteors before the
> parent comet arrives.  I wouldn't think particles of the comet could
> arrive before the coma.

An increase in particle density is present along the orbit ahead and
behind comet Temple-Tuttle.
The density is greatest in the area following the comet meaning post-
perihelion displays will be the most intense. The greater density
present ahead of the comet means that pre-perihelion years will see
better displays than those when the comet is situated near aphelion.

Bob Lunsford