[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Low elevation Leonids

Norman;

In regards to our observations of low elevation Leonids when the radiant had
just risen above the horizon.  Two of us had centered our field of view
fairly high in elevation, one was centered on Gemini at the time (60 deg
elevation) and the second was near the zenith.  Despite this, we saw nearly
all the Leonids hugging close to the horizon (low elevation of <30 deg) and
spotted them only because they were bright fireballs.  None of the EARLY
Leonids that night passed overhead (within 45 deg of zenith)when the radiant
was low and there was a scarcity of faint leonids. Again, I suspect this was
a statistical fluke, but was wondering if others experienced this and if
there is some angular distribution pattern that is not isotropic for meteors
from very low elevation radiants. This effect disappeared when the radiant
got higher in elevation later in the night.

Pete Gural
Sterling, VA
pgural@trg1.saicdot com