[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Leonid Colors

Hi, Sirko!

I can understand your pessimism. But it seems to me (a naive reader) that all
that is really lacking to make the analyses you mentioned (correction of ZHR for
individual perception, individual LM, individual FOV, time and season, etc.) is
more data - and the ability (and money, and time) to do controlled tests of the
individual. I certainly believe individual perception CAN be quantified - and
also that it's not cost-effective (or even possible, maybe) right now.

Still, is it really too far-fetched to imagine that some day, before going out
to observe, a future Meteorite might do a "color correlation" on their
TV/computer at home first to correct the night's colors. And in the same way,
they might do a "faintness correlation" to adjust their limiting magnitude, and
another for their effective FOV, and maybe a few in the field for their changing
alertness during the night, etc., etc. Might not sound like much FUN, but it
certainly would be more reliable than current techniques...

And by the same token, perhaps some day a future researcher may be able to look
back at my ancient color data, identify certain "type" characteristics of these
Twentieth Century eyes, and adjust accordingly to use my data? But then again,
probably by the time all of this is doable, CCDs will have replaced us...

Just my thoughts! Hope the list can forgive my "sci-fi" digression! :)

Lew