[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Leonid Colors

Hi Lew,

> Still, is it really too far-fetched to imagine that some day, before going out
> to observe, a future Meteorite might do a "color correlation" on their
> TV/computer at home first to correct the night's colors. And in the same way,
> they might do a "faintness correlation" to adjust their limiting magnitude, and
> another for their effective FOV, and maybe a few in the field for their changing
> alertness during the night, etc., etc. Might not sound like much FUN, but it
> certainly would be more reliable than current techniques...

this may sound quite straight forward in theory, but it is impracticable.
You will never be able to measure all the factors influencing you, since
you're not a machine. We are heavily infected by all types of
circumstances, and all you corrections are approximations only. From
my personal experiences I can tell you, that you do *not* improve the
overall accuracy of observations by introducing even more poorly known
correction factors.
By the way, you draw the right conclusion: If the current accuracy is not
good enough anymore, we have to look for other observing techniques.
Sirko

*           Sirko Molau             *                    __              *
*          Str.246 Nr.16            *             " 2B v 2B "            *
*          D-13086 Berlin           *                                    *
*   smo@informatik.tu-chemnitzdot de   *                       Shakespeare  *
*   http://www.tu-chemnitzdot de/~smo  *                                    *