[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Low elevation Leonids

<<  Two of us had centered our field of view
 fairly high in elevation, one was centered on Gemini at the time (60 deg
 elevation) and the second was near the zenith.  Despite this, we saw nearly
 all the Leonids hugging close to the horizon (low elevation of <30 deg) and
 spotted them only because they were bright fireballs.  None of the EARLY
 Leonids that night passed overhead (within 45 deg of zenith)when the radiant
 was low and there was a scarcity of faint leonids. Again, I suspect this was
 a statistical fluke, but was wondering if others experienced this and if
 there is some angular distribution pattern that is not isotropic for meteors
 from very low elevation radiants. This effect disappeared when the radiant
 got higher in elevation later in the night. >>

I pointed this out to Wayne as we were observing (even tho I'm sure he
spotted this right off) most of the meteors did parallel the horizon. In my
case the effect lessened as the radiant rose but did not disappear , as quite
a few traveled to the north and south rather than going to the zenith.

Kevin