[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) RECENT METEOR OBSERVATION

Your reports are really coming along, Jonathan! If you're ready for more info,
then try the following next time you observe! Keep watching, and keep posting!
You're progressing a lot faster than I did. :)

>PERIOD(UT)  FIELD   Teff   F     LM      STA   NTA   LEO   AMO   SPO
>0035-0130    ?       .92   ?     +4.0     0     2     0     0     2

Try to note where your vision was mostly (not exclusively) centered while you
were observing. Pick any star or constellation you recognize near the center of
your view, and note it down in your log. Then later on, go back and find out the
hours and degrees (RA and Dec) of that area of the sky. Also, if there's NO
clouds in the sky while you're watching, you can always put F=1.0! Otherwise,
keep putting "?" for that one until you're comfortable with it.

>1.As always, my LM increased as I advanced into my observation!
This might be because nearby mall lights etc. were turned off as the night went
on. It might also be because you need to let your eyes dark adapt, though! After
you leave a lighted room or look straight into any bright light source, give
yourself at least 10 minutes (well, at LEAST 5!) before going back to meteor
observing. Ideally, you should give yourself a half-hour to "dark adapt" before
observing, and then jealously guard that dark adpaptation throughout the night!
But this isn't always possible (don't I know it! :<).

>2.Tonight was not very active---this is why I stopped early.
Sometimes when there's little happening, it surely is harder to keep awake and
alert. But don't forget, even if you don't see ANY meteors during a given period
of observing, report it: the negative observations are just as valuable! (Good
advice I don't always keep myself. :>)

Clear skies, and many meteors Jonathan!
Lew