[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Novice Report, Nov. 16-17

Hi, all,
    We had gone outside of Phoenix three other times in the past 4 years just
to watch meteor showers, but hadn't thought about counting.  This time,
having read reports for about a week, we tried to be a little more formal
while still exploring the whole concept.  We rented a pickup truck, put in a
couple of lawn-chair pads, a queen size air mattress, a feather bed, and four
comforters.  The low temperature was about 49 degrees.
     Still need to learn magnitude estimation and how to tell Leonids from
Taurids, sporadic, etc.
     Best events:  about 0430 UT (2330 MST 11/16), brilliant white that went
more than halfway across the sky.
     Somewhere between 0930 and 1000 UT (0230-0300 MST 11/17),
       bright orange train from Leo to Cancer;
       brilliant blue-white, about the same length, near southern horizon.
       bright white about half the length of the Big Dipper.
Total about  34/hr from 0930 to 1130 UT.

Oddest two looked more like satellites but much faster, no train,  just south
of Leo, and going west toward east not quite the length of Leo.

The sky was clear, milky way very clear, only a little city light on eastern
horizon, 35 miles wast of Phoenix.

LaRue