Original Text
From: "Thomas Wojack" <pued@msndot com>, on 5/26/96 9:41 AM:
To: <meteorobs@latradedot com>

Since it takes me 60>seconds to record each meteor, I would be eaten alive
during major showers(Geminids,Leonids)!  Here is the easiest way of
recording
meteors I have ever seen(I invented this.  I *did not* get this from
someone
else.)

I found out a year ago that my computer has a"tape recorder".  I believe it
will record for an unlimited length.  You can store hours of recording on a
floppy disk!

Well, in the last month or so, I have learn the basics of electronics.  For
my
family,  have made the following:a clock alarm, a doorbell, and a security
system.  Well, for the last 10 days I have been trying to think how I could
link meteor recording to electronics to make it easier.

Here is my novel idea...

I attached a buzzer to my speakerphone on the computer. So, when the buzzer
goes off, the computer records it.  I attached a transformer to the buzzer
for
electrical power.  The wire goes outside, and the operator only needs a
switch.  When the switch goes on, the buzzer goes on, and the computer
records
it.

--
OPERATION
--

buzzes            mag
---------------------------------
1                     0
2                     1
3                     2
4                     3
5                     4
6                     5
7                     6
8                    -1
9                    -2
10                  -3,etc.
--------------------------------
3.You buzz 3 times(This signals speed, using the mag scale.).
4.You buzz once(This signals color.  A sample chart is below.).

buzzes                      color
1                             white
2                             red
3                            orange
4                            green
5                           blue
5.You buzz 2 times(This signals train length, based on the chart below.).

buzzes                     length
1                            1/4 second
2                            1/2 second
3                            3/4 second
4                            1    second
5                            2    seconds,etc.(trains into the minutes may
become troublesome!)
6.You buzz ? times(This signals shower.  The charts will vary, of course.).
--

Please let me know what you think about this!!!

Jonathan