[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fireball Sounds Revisited

Just wanted to pass on some more information I received about the thread we
had going a while back about intervals between the appearance of a fireball
and associated sounds. According to Andre Knoefel of FIDAC:

>...but a fireball produce also VLF-waves (4..8 kHz). In the case
>these waves strikes on metallic or di-electric bodies, you will be able to
>hear the sound simultanously or a few seconds after the event. Normally, the
>time lapse between the event and the sound is >60s (>20 km  =  >12 miles).
>
>There is an article in S&T 49 (1975) pp. 87-91 by D.O. ReVelle about the
>sounds from meteors.

Does anyone still have a copy of the S&T article Andre mentions?

Mark Davis
MeteorObs@charlestondot net