[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) NAMN Meteor Report: Nov 14/15 (HALWA)

Wayne,

As to sporadic radiant noting: I think there are a number of meteors which show
evidence in where their radiants are. These are very short *and* very slow
meteors which have their radiant in the very vicinity of their beginning point.
Others have very long trails, and the radiant must be close to the horizon. On
the other hand there are a lot of intermediate kinds of meteors which are more
difficult to find radiants for which are as sharp as a constellation.
Nevertheless, your comments don't cause any problems, and they may in fact be
helpful in checking for confirmation of other observations.

Oh, that reminds me of a message I received a couple of days ago from Corey
Teague, about a meteor ensemble. Perhaps someone has observed in that night and
can tell more about it:

> on the night of sat, nov 9, 1996, our club held an observing session at our
> site just north of statesville, nc.  we observed several bright meteors with a
> greenish color, a few of which left visible smoke trails.  we counted at least
> a dozen meteors in a two hour period (10:00pm - 12:00am eastern daylight
> savings time) that seemed to form a radiant near RA 4:30, DEC +45.  we
> were not expecting to observe a shower and did not concentrate our efforts
> on it.  i would guess that we missed observation on several more fainter
> meteors in the same time period.

The Taurids are a little too far off to be the source of that event.

Rainer