[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Nov 9 "radiant"

<<
 > on the night of sat, nov 9, 1996, our club held an observing session at
our
 > site just north of statesville, nc.  we observed several bright meteors
with a
 > greenish color, a few of which left visible smoke trails.  we counted at
least
 > a dozen meteors in a two hour period (10:00pm - 12:00am eastern daylight
 > savings time) that seemed to form a radiant near RA 4:30, DEC +45.  we
 > were not expecting to observe a shower and did not concentrate our efforts

 > on it.  i would guess that we missed observation on several more fainter
 > meteors in the same time period.

 The Taurids are a little too far off to be the source of that event.

 Rainer

--------------
Rainer,
I observed on that nite. I checked my plots and noted several passing roughly
through those coordinates...but they also head straight for the Taurids. If
he didn't mentioned they were the color Green and that they  left smoke
trails, I would have been certain that we are talking about Taurids. But it
sounds like they are describing fast meteors to me. Definitely don't sound
like Taurids. I checked all my sporadics and I have nothing of any fast
speeds coming from that area. In fact, everything that I have passing thru
that area ended up being a Taurid. I can't support anything from my plots
other than Taurids...Sorry.
George Z.