Original Text
From: Malcolm Currie <mjc@astro1.bnsc.rl.acdot uk>, on 12/3/96 8:53 PM:
To: <meteorobs@latradedot com>

SUBJECT too long. Original SUBJECT is 'Re: (meteorobs) Fwd Casper ter
Kuile: wintertime observing dangers'

----------------------  Original Message Follows  ----------------------

Rainer wrote:
> I remember my Geminid observation in 1990 when I didn't feel anything of
my feet
> and lower legs anymore. Fortunately, all my nerves recovered well. This
was the
> most uncomfortable observation I have ever made... Rainer

Ah yes, I remember some 3 monkey/hour all-night telescopic sessions
nights in Provence during the 1990 Geminids.  OK we did take a few
breaks, but it's tougher to resist the cold sitting upright than to be
almost enclosed in a sleeping blanket during visual observing.  I
still recall the numbing pain if my nose touched the frigid eyepiece.
At least the telescopic rates were in the 20s per hour and during
breaks at visual maximum we were spotting 4 Geminids a minute.

Malcolm