[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fwd Casper ter Kuile: wintertime observing dan

I've just read Marco's message via Casper.  It sounds as if being
upright compensates for not being fully in a sleeping bag.  It
actually _felt_ colder in my torso on a night when the temperature was
just below freezing because the humidity was much higher.  On such
nights one has a good excuse to go inside to warm up---the objective
can soon be covered in dew.

> I think extra monkeys are awarded for that!!

Mark Vints also deserves extra monkeys too, as we were both observing
telescopically.  Casper was there with his 50 cameras (or so it seemed),
but he wasn't outside that much! (-;  I guess with the fully automated
systems he has now Casper can stay indoors most of the night.  I'm
only teasing, Casper.

That successful campaign reminds me of another thread.  I too haven't
been lucky to see many very bright fireballs despite thousands of
hours of visual observing mostly during the 1970's.  That's probably
because I didn't watch that much during the early evening when
fireballs are most common.  One of the best was during the 1990
Geminid campaign.  This was a multiple-flaring -12 sporadic whose
downward path was parallel to the telescope tube; I spotted it when
recording a telescopic meteor.  Thanks to Casper's generosity and
skill I have a photograph of it adorning my work area.

Malcolm