Original Text
From: Malcolm Currie <mjc@astro1.bnsc.rl.acdot uk>, on 12/3/96 9:51 PM:
To: <meteorobs@latradedot com>

A UK observer sent me an e-mail today.  The gist of his message
was that he was trying to locate the time of maximum for the Geminids
and found widely differing values.  He wrote:

"It's given as 16h UT 13/Dec on the IMO pages. Gary Kronk's page gives
0030 UT. Another source gives 0700."

I couldn't locate the 0030 reference in Gary's Meteor Shower pages,
only lambda_sol=261.3 (presumably B1950).  It must be disconcerting to
find such diverse times.

Any comments why there might be such a wide discrepancy?  I wondered
if someone was using the wrong equinox, or were using the solar
longitude from a generation ago.  My WGN and BAA Journals are at home,
so I can't research this now.  The lambda_sol=262.0 (J2000) certainly
sounds right.  I see the DMS page reckons 0.1d later, which looks to
be the same as the IMO time within the uncertainties.

Malcolm