[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fwd Casper ter Kuile: wintertime observing dan

Casper wrote:
> Thank you for all your comments!
> But you overestimated the number of camera's I used during our famous Geminid
> campaign in the Provence a bit: there were only about 18...

I was only joking.  Maybe I should have inflated the number further to
make the humour less subtle.

> kept me warm. But besides this I think one very important aspect during the
> Geminids is the Mistral which was blowing rather heavy: about 8 to 9 beaufort?
> The Mistral comes right away from the mountains and is therefore a dry wind.
> In the low-lands of Holland most of the time the air is very moisty and this
> gives an impression of cold much faster than a dry air even if it's colder and
> the wind is blowing. Can anyone of you confirm my feelings? Malcolm?

Yes, the Mistral made a difference.  To avoid the wind chill and
vibration, we set up our equipment close to the house on its leeward
side, and only one night did the Mistral cause problems.  Casper's
camera batteries were near the lavender field well away from the
building, so he probably noticed the Mistral more than we did.  I concur
that moist air feels colder than dry air of the same temperature.

> Such a briljant fireball itself give warm feelings due to emotions
> which take possession of the observer...

They are happy reminiscences.  Even the 13-hour drive back to Belgium
including 7 hours through snow don't seem so bad.

> Moreover: such a splendid
> succesfull campaign like the Geminids 1990 still give me a warm feeling...
> Malcolm: we have to do it over once again!

Yes indeed.  I'm getting tired of these light polluted skies and need
to recharge my emotional batteries.  I might bring a video camera too
next time.  Certainly a trip sur le Continent is scheduled for the
1999 eclipse/Perseids.  I'll have a look at the lunar chiascuro for
1997-8.  To offset the costs and to pass the long travel time, it
would be good to find a travelling companion from the UK.  Now that
Alastair McBeath has the IMC bug, he might interested in an observing
trip abroad too.

Malcolm