[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) RE: meteorobs-digest V1 #242

Malcolm and Casper wrote:

>The Mistral comes right away from the mountains and is therefore a dry wind.
>In the low-lands of Holland most of the time the air is very moisty and this
>gives an impression of cold much faster than a dry air even if it's colder and
>the wind is blowing. Can anyone of you confirm my feelings? Malcolm?

From a physics point of view there is no difference: the heat content of cold dry air is
virtually the same as of cold moist air, as long as it is undersaturated. Heat exchange
could be more efficient when your skin would absorp moist from the air, but I would
expect the opposite thing, namely moist from your skin evaporating into the air. In case
of saturated air there must be tiny ice crystals in the air which could cool your skin.

>>That successful campaign reminds me of another thread.  I too haven't
>>been lucky to see many very bright fireballs despite thousands of
>>hours of visual observing mostly during the 1970's.  That's probably
>>because I didn't watch that much during the early evening when
>>fireballs are most common.  One of the best was during the 1990
>>Geminid campaign.  This was a multiple-flaring -12 sporadic whose
>>downward path was parallel to the telescope tube; I spotted it when
>>recording a telescopic meteor.  Thanks to Casper's generosity and
>>skill I have a photograph of it adorning my work area.
>
>Such a briljant fireball itself give warm feelings due to emotions
>which take possession of the observer... Moreover: such a splendid
>succesfull campaign like the Geminids 1990 still give me a warm feeling...
>Malcolm: we have to do it over once again!

I agree with that! Also from your point of view it seems worthwile, as you seem to see
more fireballs in our neighbourhood......

Marc