[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Stale publications (was Time of Geminid maximum)

Malcolm's post regarding new texts duplicating old, static, and out of date
information on showers started so many thoughts in my brain I had to ponder
for a while before responding (He does that a lot...like Lew). My sense is
that anywhere in the field of science lately, if it's in a book it's
already obsolete information. How many known moons were there in the solar
system when YOU were in high school. Extrasolar planets?(Heck this years
texts won't even be up on that). Truly, that is the reason for the
unbelievable amout of money I spend annually on science journals and
magazines.
	All that aside, he brings up the issue of those who consider (and
teach) that meteor showers are static, known, and unchanging. I believe
that while writing to authors and publishers may have some use, my guess
would be that we'd be considered crackpots, without providing voluminous
documentation. Which would probably ensure that it would never be read:-)
	For what we try to do here...I can say that we have several NJAA
members who are teachers. They know more of what is going on than any text
writer would dream of. Remeber, especially here in the US the textbook
industry (particularly an the pre college level) is controlled by powerful
coalitions of ...well scientifically backward luddites. The major text
publishers here in the US are being forced to teach that Creationism be
taught as more likely than the unproven speculation of the Theory of
evolution. I'm not trying to offend any Creationists  here, but we as
meteor observers run into some problems describing meteor stream evolution
in 7 or 8 thousand years since the universe was created. And no publisher
will publish what will not be purchased.
	So, in conclusion, I feel that the effort to educate our educators
lies in our hands...sure, see a bad, outdated text, write. But don't expect
immediate huge results. Try to reach the teachers and the children directly
as well. It is our (meteor observers, and humanity's) only hope the mold a
scientifically literate future for our planet.

Wayne,
Jumping off soapbox now and running as fast as he can.....look at that
persistant train!!!
Well of course...he's flyin' now...He's a Geminid! And being a Hall(e)y,
little pieces of him are Orionids and Eta AquaridsI- - - - - -- - - -- - -