[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: (meteorobs) Time of Geminid maximum

Yup, that maximum time range is definitely a disappointment for us Western Hemispheroids, especially considering Bob Lunsford's dire warning about next year's unfavorable lunar cycles in his latest ALPO newsletter! :(

Anyway, talk about trying to view radiants through the earth and such got me wondering whether there are any known streams with NEGATIVE geocentric velocity. In other words, meteors whose orbital velocity projected onto the norm of earth's orbit (mumble mumble mumblefratz) is LESS than earth's. I know that many sporadics could probably be described this way, but I'm wondering if there are any well-identified STREAMS like this?

It'd be sort of neat to know while watching a shower that you were actually tracing meteors back to the earth apex instead of a radiant. And stated like I did above, it doesn't seem that unlikely that such streams might exist.

So... anybody? :)
Lew

Karen Simmons & Lew Gramer lewkaren@tiacdot net http://www.tiacdot net/users/lewkaren