[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Bolides

Hi George,

At 09:43 05/12/96 -0500, you wrote:

>Does anyone know what makes a Fireball become a Bolide?
>
>I at one time found one source that referred to Bolides as being Fireballs
>that produced sonic booms. That is what I personally go by.  But I've on
>occasions noted that when a fireball has a terminal burst or any other
>bursting, that it is referred to as a Bolide, although no noise is heard.
> Can anybody clarify this for me? Thanks!

The impression that I got, was that a fireball becomes a bolide when it is
seen to break up, explode or detonate and a sonic boom is heard. Also, my
understanding is that flaring occur's in both fireballs and bolides,
therefore not exclusive to one or the other.

Like yourself George, I've yet to come across a definitive "guideline"
reference for classification. I've merely relied on the experience and
erudite observations of persons such as yourself!.

Hope this helps to clarify the situation,

Clear Skies,

Graham.