[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Tape Recorders

Somewhat belatedly...

It's been some years since I used a tape recorder for observing.  On
mine the pen-sized flared microphone had its own switch, and had a few
metres' lead.  So on cold nights, the recorder went inside the
sleeping bag and only the tip of the microphone (and the top of my
head) peeked out into the cold air.  At the start of the night the
tape drive was set to record, but with the mike switch off.  To
record, I just pushed the switch up and spoke into the mike.  When
completed, I pushed the switch down.  This worked fine.  The advantage
is that you only have one switch, and so foul-ups are less likely.
I suppose you might knock the controls inside the sleeping bag, and
them some tape to keep the play and record buttons depressed should
fix that.

Malcolm