[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) Tape Recorders

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.5.1 ] --

Malcolm,  You Wrote:

> It's been some years since I used a tape recorder for observing.  On
mine the
> pen-sized flared microphone had its own switch, and had a few metres'
lead.  So
> on cold nights, the recorder went inside the sleeping bag and only the
tip of
> the microphone (and the top of my head) peeked out into the cold air.
At the
> start of the night the tape drive was set to record, but with the mike
switch
> off.  To record, I just pushed the switch up and spoke into the mike.
When
> completed, I pushed the switch down.  This worked fine.  The advantage
is that
> you only have one switch, and so foul-ups are less likely. I suppose
you might
> knock the controls inside the sleeping bag, and them some tape to keep
the play
> and record buttons depressed should fix that.

I have been using this exact system for many years now without a hitch.
The on-off switch on the mike is most convenient. Let me add that I also
check the tape at least once an hour to make sure no malfunctions have
occurred.

Bob Lunsford

My invention uses only one switch.

Just a thought...