[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) meteor photos

At 20:29 06-12-96 +0000, you wrote:
>On Fri, 22 Nov 1996, Casper ter Kuile wrote:
>
>> I suppose you are using a browser which cannot display frames? If so, please
>> try to download a newer version. I have updated to "no-frames" page. If
>> everything is OK you should be able to find our Leonid results now!
>
>Well a new version of Netscape was installed recently.  3.something.
>It can display frames, but perhaps I didn't dig deep enough to find
>the images, and want to find a way of zapping the dogs. {-:  I'd tried
>the "Photos" link and it put me into /pub/betlem, but there weren't
>any recent Leonid pictures. I've just tried again and there is a new
>picture but no caption.  The image was so large, it took me 20 seconds
>with the sliders to find the fireball.  If this isn't the correct
>place, please could I have the the full URL.

Hi Malcolm,

Our finest Leonid photo is now on our DMS FTP-site. The adress is:
ftp://ftp.strw.leidenunivdot nl/pub/betlem/Leonid_1996/Leo96191.gif
This site is also directly accessible from the DMS homepage.
Data are available from the homepage under Leonids 1996.
The pictures shows 2 Leonids near the polar star.

>I tried the movies, but I'm missing /usr/bin/mme/alphavcr.  I've
>grabbed other MPEG movies before successfully.  Is this a problem at
>my end or on the DMS machine?
>
>I did find the Leonid paper submitted to WGN, and am impressed with
>the speed of submission.  The faint population is very interesting,
>shame I wasn't able to see it.  A request: please could you use the IAU
>standard J2000 equinox, and present the ZHRs calculated using both the
>DMS and IMO methods to permit intercomparisons.

Malcolm, I will forward your request to Marco Langbroek who prepared
the paper on the Leonids.

Thanks for your comments!

Casper.

|     Casper ter Kuile, Akker 145, NL-3732 XD De Bilt, the Netherlands     |
|    Phone: (31)-30-2203170; Fax: (31)-30-2202695; GSM: (31)-6-54723974    |
|                         E-mail: pegasoft@cc.ruudot nl                       |
|         DMS-website: http://www.pidot net/~terkuile/meteors/dms.htm         |