[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Geminid Observation 9/10 Dec

Hello Observers';

Our only clear night lasted 1/2 hour from 0330 to 0400 UT, so I decided
to look for some Geminids. In the 1/2 hour observing I saw 5 Geminids,
the brightest was a -4Mag. the others were 0, -2, +1, and -1 mag.
The - magnitudes were white in color while the other 2 were reddish
color.

 My observations were hampered by living in an apartment with an overhang
cement slab thus cutting down on my zenith part, leaning over the balcony
5 stories up I could see Capella. My focus of attention was in the Orion,
Taurus areas and a bit to my west sky.

 I could see Atlas in the Pleiades, so I used that for the limiting magnitude
of 5.0.

 In all it was a good bunch of Geminids to see before the cloud and now
snow may cause a miss for the rest of the week!

DEC.9/10, 1996

UT 0330  -4 white
   0331   0 reddish
   0340  -2 white
   0345   1 reddish
   0347  -1 white

Clear skies...
Michael Boschat ( Astronomer )    E-mail: andromed@atm.daldot ca
Atmospheric Sciences              Lab Phone: (902) 494-7060
Dept. of Oceanography             Fax: (902) 494-2885
Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia
CANADA, B3H 4J1         My ASTRONOMY Web Page: http://www.atm.daldot ca/~andromed