[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Archive resend RE: (meteorobs) Recording Meteors

From: "Jonathan Wojack" <pued@msndot com>
To: MeteorObs@charlestondot net, meteorobs@latradedot com
Subject: RE: (meteorobs) Recording Meteors

Chris speaking:

     It's a Spacstation model 20 made by sun.  I run unix and a program
called audiotool.  I can pick from 8 khz to 48 khz and 8-bit u-law, 8-bit
A-law, or 16 bit linear.  I'll have to try a few to see if they work and
what takes up the least room.  That's not a bad size for 1-1/2 hours on the
4-bit you can use.  Can you or do you have a device that cuts out the silent
or quiet  parts?  That way you could record your streakers type, mag, time
etc. and then just cut out all the quiet parts in between.  Then go back and
transcribe each one instead of playing back the whole thing.

Jonathan speaking:

I use WinDAT by Voyetra.  Is there a device that will cut out the silent
parts?  The atmosphere sorrounding the microphone isn't completely silent,
anyway.  For recordings >30 minutes, It will display a "wave".  I can then
instantly find when the buzzer buzzed.

I tried to see if it will record the wave if I move the quality from 4 bits to
8 bits.  It worked(for59:59.60, virtually 1 hour)!  It displayed the wave!  It
took 37MB, or 0.62 MB per minute.  I haven't designed a way to record my LM
with the buzzer.  BTW, I am building a dome(observatory) in my backyard.  I
love Astronomy, but I couldn't design a facility for meteors.  I also love
Electronics, as I made this buzzer system.  I am going to combine the two and
I will have a security system, red-light lighting system, the meteor buzzing
system, electronic finderscope system for my telescope, and a computerized
telescope interface/controller system.

Jonathan