[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Socked in...

At 09:57 PM 12/12/96 EST, you wrote:
>Guys -
>
>Looks like the only excitement I'm going to get tonight is the late night flick
>"Spacehunter:  Adventures in the Forbidden Zone".....
>
>Ottawa is socked in solid, and is supposed to continue like this until Monday.
>We have a delightful "freezing rain advisory" message in red all over our TV
>weather station.....
>
>Hope the rest of you are having better luck... Friday the 13th and all that
>after midnight :)
>
>- Cathy
>  Ottawa, Canada

Cathy (& everyone),

Unfortunately we here in upstate NY are also going to be clouded out for the
Geminids (I wish that Spacehunter movie was on around here ;-))...

BTW, for anyone interested we got two great shots of the Leonids. Both with
a 28MM lens piggyback for 5-10 mins on the back of our 6 inch astrophysics.
The first is a nice meteor thru Orion (about 2:00 AM EDT 11/17/96), the
second at about 4:15 AM EDT of a meteor train that was visible to the naked
eye for a full 10 mins !!! (by the time I shot it, it was already there for
about 3 mins. after the fireball (which lit up the area as if it were
daylight), so the end exposure was about 7 mins. long). We just got done
scanning & processing them & they should be on our website soon at:

http:\\www.kopernik.org

Until then, if anyone would like a copy (each is about 500K to 750K in size)
let me know & I'll e-mail one or both directly to you (.JPG files - scanned
with an HP Color Deskscan III from 8x12 full frame prints taken on Kodak 400
Pro PPF film at f/2.8))...

Hope others have good luck with the Geminids (the weather station here has
Flood Warnings posted :-(   )....

Regards & (Regretablly Not) Clear Skies,
Jay Edwards,
Pres., Kopernik Astro. Society
Kopernik Space Education Center, Vestal, NY
http:\\www.kopernik.org